Learn about alternative health for hearing loss in people over 45.
As people age, many begin to experience hearing loss. It can be an isolated and frustrating experience as communication becomes more complex, and social interactions may become more challenging.
While hearing aids and other medical interventions can effectively manage hearing loss, alternative health approaches may benefit those over 45.
Its ancient Chinese practice involves inserting thin needles into specific body parts. According to traditional Chinese therapy, the body has a network of energy pathways called meridians, and acupuncture works by stimulating these pathways to restore balance and promote healing.
Some studies have suggested that acupuncture may be effective in treating hearing loss. A study published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine in 2015 discovered that acupuncture improved hearing and reduced tinnitus (ringing in the ears) in older adults with age-related hearing loss.
Another analysis published in the Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies discovered that acupuncture improved hearing in patients with acute sensorineural hearing loss.
2) Herbal Remedies
Many traditional herbal remedies have been used for centuries to treat hearing loss. Some herbs that may be helpful for those over the age of 45 include:
- Ginkgo biloba: This herb is commonly used to improve circulation and cognitive function but may also benefit hearing loss. A 2010 review of several studies found that ginkgo biloba improved hearing in people with age-related hearing loss.
- Chinese herbs: Traditional Chinese medicine includes several herbal remedies for hearing loss. For example, a 2015 study published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine found that combining several Chinese herbs improved hearing and reduced tinnitus in older adults with age-related hearing loss.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is essential for many bodily functions, including hearing. Some studies have suggested magnesium supplements improve hearing in people with age-related hearing loss. Yet, more research is needed to confirm this.
It’s important to remember that herbal remedies can interact with medications and aren’t always safe. Before attempting any herbal remedies, consult with your doctor.
3) Yoga and Meditation
Stress and anxiety can exacerbate hearing loss and make communicating more difficult. Yoga and meditation are two practices that can help reduce stress and promote relaxation.
Yoga is a physical and mental practice involving postures, breathing exercises, and meditation. Some yoga poses that may be beneficial for hearing loss include:
- Shoulder stand (Sarvangasana): This pose improves circulation to the head and neck, improving hearing.
- Fish pose (matsyasana): This pose stretches the neck and improves blood flow to the ears.
Meditation is a technique for focusing the mind and reducing mental chatter. Frequent meditation can assist patients with age-related hearing loss and enhance their hearing by lowering stress and anxiety.
4) Massage Therapy
Massage therapy involves manipulating the body’s soft tissues to improve circulation, reduce muscle tension, and promote relaxation. Some studies have suggested that massage therapy may be beneficial for hearing loss.
For example, a 2014 study published in the International Tinnitus Journal found that massage therapy improved hearing and reduced tinnitus in patients with sensorineural hearing loss.
Another study published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine found that ear acupressure massage improved hearing and reduced tinnitus in older adults with age-related hearing loss.
While alternative health remedies for hearing loss may not completely cure it, they can support overall ear health and reduce further damage to hair cells. Consult with a healthcare professional before attempting these remedies to prevent any adverse effects or interactions with medications.